Just purchased the Mephisto Milano Pro - how does it play?

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
appleshampogal

Just purchased the Mephisto Milano Pro - how does it play?

Post by appleshampogal »

An offer and counteroffer later I got it! I've come close twice, but this one always managed to elude me. Now, I have two master programs in addition to my Star Diamond. I know the Star Diamond is an attacking player, but what about the Milano Pro/Master? The Mephisto Chess Challenger was based on Fritz 1, and is a consummate tactician. I'm interested to know what evolutionary path the next stage of Fritz took within the Milano Pro in terms of playing style compared to her younger sister.

Miscellaneous: are the playing modes the same between the Master and Milano Pro? How are they the same/different? I'd love to know. Also, if anyone has a link to a manual hmu!
Tibono2

Re: Just purchased the Mephisto Milano Pro - how does it play?

Post by Tibono2 »

Hello appleshampogal,

you should find the manual you are looking for on Alain's webpages http://www.zanchetta.net/
("Documentations" in the home page, then select Mephisto brand)
Cheers,
Tibono
appleshampogal

Post by appleshampogal »

Tibono2 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:12 am Hello appleshampogal,

you should find the manual you are looking for on Alain's webpages http://www.zanchetta.net/
("Documentations" in the home page, then select Mephisto brand)
Cheers,
Tibono
Thank you! I found the manual. I wonder why Mephisto chose to Christen this program with the Milano name, considering the Milano Milano was Ed Shroeder's child, rather than choosing a brand new design and name. I always thought that was a curious choice.

Thoughtful regards,
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

In 2004 the same computer was renamed to the Master Chess. Although it's rating might not be that of a Master (maybe USCF master?).
And yes it could be a great opponent to spar with the Star Diamond :-)

Regards, Paul
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
appleshampogal

Post by appleshampogal »

paulwise3 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:08 pm In 2004 the same computer was renamed to the Master Chess. Although it's rating might not be that of a Master (maybe USCF master?).
And yes it could be a great opponent to spar with the Star Diamond :-)

Regards, Paul
Yes! I'm absolutely thrilled. Maybe I'll post a game at some point in celebration. My Star Diamond hasn't had any recent missions and so some exercise would be good for it! What do you think a battle between these Juggernauts might look like considering the Star Diamond has a tactical reputation. I've been reading to try to figure out how Milano Pro differs from her young sister realized in the Mephisto Chess Challenger... Not many details though about how the style may have changed from Fritz 1 to Fritz 3. 🤔
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

Actually the Challengers program is older, it is the same as that of the GK 2100, that appeared in 1993. The Milano Pro dates from 1996. Faster (20 MHz vs 10 MHz) and larger program 64kb vs 32kb
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
appleshampogal

Post by appleshampogal »

paulwise3 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:31 pm Actually the Challengers program is older, it is the same as that of the GK 2100, that appeared in 1993. The Milano Pro dates from 1996. Faster (20 MHz vs 10 MHz) and larger program 64kb vs 32kb
Yes indeed. From what I know, MCC is based in an improved Fritz 1, and the Milano Pro is based on Fritz 3. What I wondered is how the Milano Pro's personality is different than the MCC. What would you say about that?
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

appleshampogal wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:16 pm
paulwise3 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:31 pm Actually the Challengers program is older, it is the same as that of the GK 2100, that appeared in 1993. The Milano Pro dates from 1996. Faster (20 MHz vs 10 MHz) and larger program 64kb vs 32kb
Yes indeed. From what I know, MCC is based in an improved Fritz 1, and the Milano Pro is based on Fritz 3. What I wondered is how the Milano Pro's personality is different than the MCC. What would you say about that?
That I am not sure of. Both are tactically strong, but given the difference in program size the Milano Pro should have more chess knowledge for the middle game. I have the tuned Saitek Centurion 40 MHz, same prog as the MCC, but 4 times faster. That could give the Milano Pro/Master Chess a hard time. Both have the same active rating.
kanjart

Post by kanjart »

Hi!
I'd like to know how overclock the H8 processor?
I own a saitek chess challenger computer!
Thank's a lot!