New feature suggestion: Reference database

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

Bizarrebra

New feature suggestion: Reference database

Post by Bizarrebra »

Hello,

Not sure if this has been suggested before, but I'd love to see a feature where you designate a reference database and indicate its location (you have to keep it open in a tab). In my case I have a mix of a paid Chessbase database curated by myself plus all of the TWIC archives (almost 10M actual games). Now, my idea is that from any base open where you're browsing thru the moves (i.e. you're learning a variation) you can search the reference database by position and in return you'd get a window with all games in your reference database having the same position. Currently that's only possible if you copy the position to the clipboard, go to the big database tab, open a "Search position" window, and paste the position from the clipboard. The outcome is the same, but it'd be so helpful to have some sort of shorcut from any other base. I apologize in advance if there's already a way to do that and I don't know about it. In that case I'd love to hear how to accomplish it.

Thanks and keep up the good work.
mattchess

Re: New feature suggestion: Reference database

Post by mattchess »

In the tree explorer if you use the menu button on the upper right (three lines) you can switch databases in whichever database tab you are in to view the tree for a different database. Then from there click the browse games button (folder icon).
Bizarrebra

Post by Bizarrebra »

Thanks a lot. That's what I was looking for. I had set the tree to a repertoire base of my own, and hadn't played around with the options, but it's exactly what I wanted. Thanks again!
GoneBallistics

Post by GoneBallistics »

I was considering to suggest this new feature when I found that it's already there. Good.
I believe that it would be even better with a little improvement.
On any database you can set current database, workbase or any other open database.
On Workbase you can set local book or GM+ (and save as default)
I'd like to be able to set any open database on Workbase too.
Why?
Because sometimes I want to check something on a specific database without riskjing to change or insert games on that database.
If there is another way to do this I'd like to know how.
I always check the online manual, but at the moment it isn't that helpful.
GoneBallistics

Post by GoneBallistics »

Bizarrebra wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:41 am Thanks a lot. That's what I was looking for. I had set the tree to a repertoire base of my own, and hadn't played around with the options, but it's exactly what I wanted. Thanks again!
Please forget this.
I just realized that I was in book explorer and not in tree explorer. :roll: